Welcome

Welcome to the Ancestral Blog

of Pete and Norma McFarlane

.

.

Table of Contents

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Alexander and Mary Stephens



          Alexander and Mary are the parents of John Stephens. They were religious people. Alexander died before the gospel was restored. Mary died in the 1840's in Illinois. They had 11 children.[1]


Will of Alexander Stephens

          "I, Alexander Stephens of the County of Rowan, being through the abundant mercies of God though weak in body yet of a sound and perfect understanding and memory, do constitute this my last will and testimony and desire it to be received of all men as such imprimis. I humbly bequeath my soul to God my maker, beseeching his most gracious acceptance of it through the all-sufficient merits and mediation of my most compassionate redeemer, Jesus Christ, imprimis. I give my body to the earth from whence it was taken in full assurance that it will rise again at the resurrection of the great day. As for my burial I desire it may be decent at the discretion of my wife and executors hereafter named as to my worldly estate. I will and positively order that all my just debts be paid. I will and bequeath all my real and personal property that I now possess to my dear and loving wife Mary Stephens; to do and depose of as she thinks proper to raise my children while she lives or during her widowhood, and then all my estate to be equally divided among all my children; and I do constitute my wife Mary Stephens my soul executor of this my last will and testament, in witness whereof I do here set my hand and seal this 24 of December, 1819, in the presence of us.

Test. Richard Briggs /s/ Alex Stephens (Seal)"[2]

          Alexander's wife Mary wrote the following inventory:

"Inventory of the property of Alex Stephens, decd.

4 hars critters 1 glass 2 umberels 9 hed of cattle 1 churm 1 pale 12 hed of hogs 1 tray 5 vails 16 hed of
sheep 2 heckles 1 waggin 1 still an tub 1 clock 2 plains 1 pare of wagin gears 3 beds 1 riffle 1 wagon lode of flax 1 table 1spade 2 dressers an furnitur 1 oven 1 skillet 2 smoothing irons 1 pan 5 raisirs 2 siths an cradles 2 tramels 3 plows 3 half bushels 3 whhels 2 pals 1 gang of chickens 1 pick 1 sprauling 1 pare of plowing gears 4 hoss 3 saws 1 candle mole 9 books 1 chisal 2 pare of shears 8 chears 2 augurs 2 meal bags 1 trumtpet 2 saddles 1 pare of stillgards 1 spade 1 bridles 1 coffey mill 1 tray 1 jug 2 fire shovels 2 candle sticks 5 bottles 3 par of cards 1 grass sith 1 tub 1 pare of traces 1 comb 1 cubbard 77 pounds of iron 1 hammer 2 waggons 1 pare of pinchers 7 shays 1 lock chain 1 pare of teeth drawers 19 gees 7 shays 3700 weight of tobacco

/s/ Mary Stephens adm."[3]


References

1. History of Alexander Stephens. Retrieved from freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com
2. LDS Film: 1548676
3. LDS Film number 1903138 of the Davidson County, NC, Estate Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment